Author Topic: Kill Switch EW  (Read 8518 times)

Offline bazza

Kill Switch EW
« on: 29 Nov 2007 at 23:56 »
Hi All,Anyone got any suggestions on how to rig up a kill switch for an EW.

Regards Bazza

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Kill Switch EW
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2007 at 06:26 »
Bazza, I wouldnt go to the trouble of trying to fit a kill switch. There is a bakelite cover that fits BTH mags but wont fit the maggy properly without interferring with the fly wheel. The way of stopping all models except DTs was to lift the decompression lever or to simply to put in first gear and stall the motor. regards Al

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2007 at 05:08 »
Hey out there ????? no one got any other comment on Bazzas Kill Switch>>>>>I have an operated kill switch on my E29 which is a lever on the 3 screw alloy end plate but this is because I have a later model BTH (the flatter type) that was fitted to the flat twin motor of an army Petters pump. This Maggy has fixed timing so it is fixed always  to full advance which doesnt affect starting as long as it gets a good hard kick to avoid kick back. Again I stress this set up is possible because the motor is wider and there is clearance from the fly wheel. The kill switch on the DT was just a flat strip of metal mounted near the left hand grip with a small bakelite knob. Now in the past I had the privelidge of speaking to old speedway riders Reg Challenger and Frank Pearce and a way (I dont know if all) was to ride the DT on full throttle and hit the cut out on sharp corners. Can produce some accompaning phots if interested. The original cutout is still on Regs old bike.  regards Al

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 03 Dec 2007 at 05:38 »
Alan, I guess I am also wondering why a kill switch is needed ?

Offline bazza

« Reply #4 on: 03 Dec 2007 at 05:57 »
G'day Alan and Ian,The reason I asked about a kill switch is I thought it might be easier than fiddling trying to hook up the decomp lever which isn't there I can only see something into the crancase that obviously had a cable running through but then thats it I'm not that clever in working out how a decomp lever works or indeed how it hooks up.The books I have are very short on info so can anyone help,by the way Alan the bike you would not recognise it should have some photos soon and the clutch thrust bearing is something to be admired your brass ring with a centre spacer and ball bearings inserted on the face magnificent piece of machining by my buddy.another couple of weeks it should fire up hopefully can't wait Santa has come early I'm like a two year old with his first meccano set.
Regards Bazza

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 03 Dec 2007 at 06:03 »
I had the same problem with my OC - the decomp stuff had been thrown away (apparently the first thing that was dispensed with on bikes that were raced !!). I have not bothered with anything as its easy to stop the bikes. I have mine set so if I completely retard the ignition and back the throttle off it will stop. - but have seen other methods such as the ones Alan mentions as well as just puting your hand over the air intake.

Offline bazza

« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec 2007 at 06:24 »
Thanks Ian if its good enough for you guys then stalling is the way to go who am I to disagree :wink:

Bazza

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 03 Dec 2007 at 06:51 »
At least its simple !!

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 03 Dec 2007 at 08:06 »
Bazza Think I may have enough bits to work the decomp will do a search and see if I can source all the bits    Al

Offline bazza

« Reply #9 on: 03 Dec 2007 at 09:42 »
Thanks Mate