Author Topic: CW wheel size  (Read 10675 times)

Offline graeme

• Master Member
CW wheel size
« on: 04 Sep 2007 at 04:19 »
What is the correct size wheel for a CW Douglas? ie should it be 26x2 1/2 or 26x3.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: CW wheel size
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2007 at 06:20 »
HI Graeme
The correct wheel size for CW as standard was the flat based rim to take 26" x  2.1/4" tyre. 26" tyres at that time were often marked 2.1/4" X 2.1/2" referring to width and depth. Tyres available now to fit these rims are marked simply 26" x  2.1/2". However, as an option. especially for parts of the world with known bad roads the CW was available with the now completely obsolete 25" x 3" balloon tyres as fitted to the later EW model. A smaller rim was used with this tyre.  Chris.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2007 at 12:23 »
Graeme, Hold the phone on this one CW's with 26x2 1/2 are very rare in Aust. I have come across many CW original wheels in my time and they have all been the size to take 25x3 which I dont think are available but I have always used 26x3. We have discussed a supplier once before Who operates out of the eastern area of Brisbane. Of the several CW frames I have had the earlier models have the seat spring strip mount with 2 holes one behind the other. Most Aust frames have an across frame lug with the cover clamp same as EW. regards Al

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 04 Sep 2007 at 18:10 »
   The Douglas CW specifications for both 1924 and 1925 state quite clearly that the tyre size is 26" x 2.1/4". For 1924 this was quoted as "super-studded Hutchinson or other good make". For 1925 "first class make, according to supplies". For 1926 they stated that Balloon tyres were now standard and I assume that this means that they fitted the smaller rim with the now obsolete 25" x 3" tyres. However, there seem to be very few 1926 CWs, only 13 in the machine register and I dare say that many of these were late sales from 1925 production. The vast bulk of CWs listed being 1925.
   I know of EW owners in this country riding on original rims with 26" x 3" tyres fitted and at one time I am sure that an authority in this country was recommending that this was OK. Recently however, this advice has changed and 26" x 3" tyres are now not recommended by this authority for the rims originally fitted with 25" x 3" tyres. (This may be the result of appreciation of the current obsession with "Health and Safety") According to several sources the only tyres recommended for these rims are the 24" x 2.1.4" and I believe the 24" x 2.12" although I have never seen the latter. I should add that I have seen the 24"x 2.1/4" tyre fitted to the rim for the 25" x 3" tyre and it looks ridiculous. For safety, I believe the advice now being given is that the wheel should be rebuilt with the correct rim for 26" x 3" tyres.
     As stated before I believe that in spite of the published specifications, balloon tyres were available as an option for countries where roads were thought to be bad and the term "Colonial Model" was used. It is therefore quite possible that the bulk of supplies to Australia would have been supplied with the same rims and tyres adopted for 1926 and the subsequent EW model.   Chris.   

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 05 Sep 2007 at 05:01 »
Thanks Alan and Chris
So now I know I have a correct wheel for both options!
Now for another question - if the hub has the tapered spline, is it a rear wheel only? I see no reason for the spline on the front - unless of course the smaller diameter wheel I have is from an EW. It is clearly a nickel plated hub.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline rossco

« Reply #5 on: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:35 »
Thanks Alan and Chris
So now I know I have a correct wheel for both options!
Now for another question - if the hub has the tapered spline, is it a rear wheel only? I see no reason for the spline on the front - unless of course the smaller diameter wheel I have is from an EW. It is clearly a nickel plated hub.
Cheers, Graeme
Hi If you check the topic in General Discussion page 3 ,1925 The MotorCycle Overseas Annual and Buyers Guide it might help with bikes exported to Australia. Regards Rossco.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 06 Sep 2007 at 08:44 »
Hello Graeme. Both wheels are the same with 80 splines or is it 100( have to count them again its a while since I cut the splines into sprockets) on one side you will note that the length of splines on the CW are shorter than the EW however the size of the spline will take an EW brake drum. The hubs are 36 spoke unlike the 40 of the EW. The rim actually has an extra 4 holes to centre and hold the brake pulley. The splines and ends of the hubs are covered by 4 dust caps similar with the EW with hex ends that fit over the axle adjusting nuts. I think although my OB may not be original that the OB uses a CW wheel in the front including the pulley width but does use a wider hub and wider pulley at the rear. The CW rear sprocket has only a i/2 chain where the OB has 5/8. The sprocket lock nut differs to the EW brake drum lock, although the same thread has a groove around the circumference. The front and rear brake setups are slightly different one main difference being the short link of about 2 inches one being straight the other being curved. Hope some of this helps. regards Al.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2007 at 23:32 by Alan Cun »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2007 at 02:08 »
Graeme,

The March 1927 Spares List for the TS/CW models (non-illustrated) lists part number 1385D "Hub complete, back or front". Unfortunately further along it again lists 1411D as "Hub complete (Front or Rear)"! Just a few part numbers away at 1407D it lists "Hub shell only, T.S." Further along it again gives another hub shell as 1412D. There are no hub shells listed explicitly for the front and likewise explicitly for the rear.

While not being clear which is which model, other than the one hub shell mentioned, it is clear they intended the same hub to be used front and rear. Further it seems that hub was not the shared between the TS and the CW.

The 350EW should have the all pressed steel hub, no splines; one of C. Pullin's design contributions. The 600EW had the tapered spline from the beginning, and then a few years later certain 350cc models (I think the B29 was first) got the detachable brake drums with the tapered splines.

There are 100 splines or serrations.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2007 at 13:03 by Doug »

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 07 Sep 2007 at 05:21 »
Thanks for all this info fellas.
I now know I have one of the CW 26x2 1/2 wheels - front or back. I will count the spline number on the other to see what it is.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2007 at 10:24 »
Yes Graeme, Sorry I didnt mention the 3 piece hub from the EW however I do believe that maybe we in Aust received EWs with the detaceable drums particularly the EWs with the later gearbox . Also think the EW 28 600 had detachable drums. I have come across too many detachable hubs for them to have come from other than late EWs. Like I say here in Aust. Al
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2007 at 08:39 by Alan Cun »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2007 at 09:57 »
Graeme    Yes been back to the shed and checked out the CW wheels and rims but cant see any 26x2 1/2 all are 26 x 3 or to be more correct I guess 25 x 3. There is a surplus complete wheel also the fork blades and plated links and link lock nuts but cant supply link bolts or grease caps. Send a personal of anything else and I will take to Gatton regards Al