Author Topic: Mk. V Front Suspension  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Brian Cape Town

Mk. V Front Suspension
« on: 20 Aug 2007 at 18:25 »
Hi learned folk.

During my early days with a Mk.IV my major irritation was with the front mudguard reaction system. My memories of the clonking and rattling has prompted me to take some care in refurbishing my current Mk.V.

John Holmes guide has been a great help, however on a test reassemble the RH mudguard stay does not clear the forks. (There is extensive evidence of its earlier interaction with them) Now this did not make sense until I realised that the right hand link was out of true by +-4 mm.

Should I try to straighten it or perhaps insert an extra kink in the outer bracket for the mudguard stay.

Has anyone had experience of straightening a link, it is the link which is bent not the splined spindle?

Comments would be appreciated Cheers.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mk. V Front Suspension
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2007 at 20:52 »
Brian,
          When you say the right hand link is out of true, are you referring to the main leading link or the reaction link?  The main link on the right hand side should be at a slight angle away from the wheel at the front. Try checking that the bore for the wheel spindle nut lines up with the hole for the spindle in the left hand link. If it does, then the link is not bent. The right hand outer support plate for the main mudguard stay should have a joggle in it (between the wheel spindle and the reaction link). Regarding the assembly of the plates and reaction links: I have never understood why Mr Douglas made the sleeves for the reaction links long enough to pass through the side plates. There would have been much less free movement if the short sleeves - as on the Mark 3's - were used, along with side plates with only 7/16" dia holes. The whole assemby could then be clamped up with all the movement confined to the bearing in the end of the reaction links instead of everything turning in the plates that are less than 1/8" thick.
                       Regards,
                                     Eddie.

Offline Brian Cape Town

Re: Mk. V Front Suspension
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2007 at 13:28 »
Thanks for your reply Eddie.

Yes indeed I was referring to the main leading link, and you say it should indeed angle away from the front wheel!

When I took a line through both the splined end and the wheel end I found them to be parallel. Good job I didn't try to straighten it !!

The right hand outer support plate for the mudguard stay does have a joggle in it.

So back to the garage and fettle further.

Thanks again.