Author Topic: Seats Carriers Brakes and the remaking of  (Read 11998 times)

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Seats Carriers Brakes and the remaking of
« on: 14 May 2007 at 09:23 »
Hello Forum Readers   Another article on what we do to get around missing Doug parts    The pictures will show some of the laser cutting we have had done to make new parts.  Hope you can understand by the picture wording and  I will not have to rave on too much.  As you can see I went a little overboard with quantity.   I soon realised  that not too many people were interested  in  making the brake units , stands etc , but if I was to produce stands, carriers,  brake units etc,   I could sell as many as I could produce.   Anyway if theres anyone out there interested in producing Doug parts from the quantity of laser cut pieces  (job lot)  no resonable offer refused.   Also shown is the legs of a carrier,  that severe bend is achieved by inserting about 3 inches of 3/8 threaded rod in the 1/2 tube where the bend is required   No special  technique just hold in the vice and with a length of old pipe that fits over the 1/2 go for it.   Also shown  a rough jig I have used to bash out seat pans.  The other wood  and fibreglass  jig is for forming wet leather into the pan shape.    Where do you get leather ?   Some tanneries have an outlet shop where you can buy half hides, rejects, and offcuts.    Dont know if you can see the 3/4 strip riveted to the base of the seat pan  a long stitch on a sewing machine is put on before rivetting.    This allows even stitching when you  stretch and work your way around hand stitching with two opposite needles.  Maybe too hard, leave it to the experts, but we do it on some of our not so important restorations they improve with practice.   Enough for now, your comments welcome .    regards Al 

Larger view

Larger view
« Last Edit: 14 May 2007 at 23:30 by Alan Cun »

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Re: Seats Carriers Brakes and the remaking of
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2007 at 11:48 »
Post modified by addition of photos HERE.
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2007 at 08:23 »
Hello All      One thing I didnt go into was the seat springs (suspension 2 off) you can ask your local spring works to  make them up, or maybe there is an owner of Indians who has a surplus.    My way of saving dollars due to quantity at the time  was to ask the spring works to make up a length of continuous spring ( about a metre ) from which I cut off lengths and with the right amount of heat shaped the ends.   Did a lot of searching before I found the 1 inch by1/8 flat spring steel for the 24 to 28 seat to tank top bar, and came up with the factory Rover Mowers  That was a decade ago and I believe now are relocating overseas. Have had an interest in the laser cut parts but undecided,  however they will be going to a new home.   regards Al
« Last Edit: 15 May 2007 at 08:29 by Alan Cun »

Offline carl denton

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2015 at 11:56 »
hello allen

are you still making any parts for Douglas motorcycles ? if you are I would be interested in getting some parts from you ?

yours carl denton .

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2015 at 10:12 »
Hello Carl,
Gee that was a long time back  got a lot of laser cutting of carrier lugs,number plate brackets, plates for Ts, CW, OB brakes and still have some left. Stand clips and Accet brackets and base for TS brake levers soon ran out.
At the moment the Doug collection is at a stand still but at the last swap a flat twin LE Velo has joined the collection as a wall ornament. Priorities for the next few months are home improvements so at this stage am not making any doug bits.
regards Alan

Offline roger h

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2017 at 23:20 »
Dear Alan,
I don't suppose you have any of your Douglas metal saddle pans left please? I have the frame and I can manage the leather covering and stitching over here in the UK?
If not, could you post some photos of your saddle pan steel mould please?
Best wishes,
Roger
(UK)

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2017 at 08:15 »
Hello Roger, No I did not produce more than a couple of seat pans for my own use. I did produce a jig to make the pans but it consisted of the rear pan section being half inch plate and an attached nose section with the side sections done free of the jig. If you can obtain a copy of a seat I am sure any panel beater could hand produce the pans. Like I mentioned the Doug restorations are on hold and health problems dont allow the amount of time I once spent on my hobbies.
regards Alan

Offline roger h

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2017 at 22:38 »
Thanks Alan,
I've now borrowed an original pan as a pattern, and found a piece of sheet steel. I also have a selection of hammers! Here goes!