Author Topic: New in my shed: 1926 Douglas EW  (Read 13271 times)

Offline Boxer

New in my shed: 1926 Douglas EW
« on: 05 Jan 2007 at 19:03 »
Hello my name is Rudolf and I'm new in this forum, and also new is my ownership of my Douglas. I think it is a 1926 Model EW - 350ccm SV  due to engine YE13xxx, frame MF14xxx and gear RG13xxx.

It was restored over ten years ago and after testing never more driven. At the moment only the exhaust needs a rework and a new plating.

What I now need are technical data's (timing of valves and magneto, carb identification and, and ...). Where can I get an old handbook (or reprint) can anybody advise me?    

Thanks Rudolf

30.03.07: The exhaust is now back from plating/renewal. After a remag of the magneto the engine starts on the first kick. I only have some troubles with the clutch, as it separetes not proberly, any advises? Thanks Rudolf

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2007 at 04:58 by alwyn »

Offline Rob

Re: New in my shed: 1926 Douglas EW
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jan 2007 at 20:31 »
Rudolf,

For manuals you could try contacting John Withers. His contact details and range of products can be found under a posting titled "Douglas Motor Cycle Repro Books" in the forum section of "Douglas Motorcycles Products and Services".

Good luck.

Rob
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2007 at 12:16 by alwyn »

Offline Boxer

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2007 at 14:44 »
Hi Rob,

thanks for the tip, I just gave John Withers an order request.

In the meantime can anybody me say how I can find the T.D.C on this sv engine?

Many thanks, Rudolf

« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2007 at 10:46 by alwyn »

Offline Boxer

« Reply #3 on: 01 Apr 2007 at 12:14 »
Update  30.03.07:

Due to the information of some fabulous members of this forum I got the excellent tape of Derek Robinson  named "the Douglas story"!

The exhaust is now back from plating/renewal. After a remag of the magneto the engine starts on the first kick. I only have some troubles with the clutch, as it separates not properly, any advises? Thanks Rudolf
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2007 at 12:34 by Boxer »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2007 at 08:52 »
.......In the meantime can anybody me say how I can find the T.D.C on this sv engine?

Many thanks, Rudolf    Yes Rudolf   easy TDC   take off rear valve cover when one valve is closing one is opening front cylinder is TDC  regards Al

« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2007 at 10:44 by alwyn »

Offline Boxer

« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2007 at 08:18 »
.......In the meantime can anybody me say how I can find the T.D.C on this sv engine?

Yes Rudolf   easy TDC   take off rear valve cover when one valve is closing one is opening front cylinder is TDC  regards Al

Many thanks AL, seems to be quite easy! Ok then both pistons are up. For checking ignition on both cylinders - there is TDC for the back cylinder 1 revolution later! I' ve got it, yes?
Rudolf

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2007 at 08:33 »
also meant to say that a quick check on mag timing the points end of ally arm of the breaker should be vertical  at TDC  It will start in this vertical position but may be necessary to rotate one tooth clockwise at the points end

regards Al
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2007 at 10:20 by Doug »

Offline Boxer

« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2007 at 16:01 »
Hi,
due to the discussion about    https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,2094.0.html    I now managed to bring the clutch to proper function. I also found 6 springs and had to backout the adjustment screw and correct the bowden until the operating lever has enough slack. So now the clutch works fine and with not to much effort at the hand lever. Thanks to the fabulous forum members.
Rud.
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2007 at 17:19 by Boxer »