Author Topic: belt & chain guards  (Read 11312 times)

Offline clee

belt & chain guards
« on: 10 May 2006 at 06:02 »
would anyone have some good closeup pics of mounting brackets for primary chain and drive belt on a 1924/1925 ts dougy. also the same on 1929 e29 600(with drive chain of course). any help would be good. many thanks colin lee  qld. australia
colin lee

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
Re: belt & chain guards
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2006 at 08:44 »
Hi Colin I have a fibreglass mould for the primary chain cover and was going to make some covers out of fibreglass to suit my 27 and 29 600's. You can see my bikes in this forums members gallery, I have also picked up most of another 29 600 recently Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline clee

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2006 at 09:52 »
Hi Colin I have a fibreglass mould for the primary chain cover and was going to make some covers out of fibreglass to suit my 27 and 29 600's. You can see my bikes in this forums members gallery, I have also picked up most of another 29 600 recently Regards Daren
           g'day daren, fiberglass moulds sound like a good idea. how hard would it be to make them out of tin. if you make some fiberglass covers would you consider making extras for sale.  regards col
colin lee

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2006 at 12:24 »
Hi The primary cover is cast alloy
Daren

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2006 at 02:35 »
Does the E29 use a cast alloy primary chain cover or one of sheet metal? The two E/F29 models I have seen both have obviously home-made primary covers of sheet metal, and in the catalog pictures you can not tell if it is a sheet metal pressing or an aluminum casting. Unfortunately I do not have a parts list for that particular model. So I am not sure.

In the period pictures and illustrations I have seen looks the same as that fitted to the E/F28, and that was sheet metal. In fact, except for the saddle tank and a slight change to the frame to suit, the 1928 and ’29 are very similar. I have a F28, the illustrated spares list, and drawings for the sheet metal primary cover and final chain guards, and some information for the mounting clips for the same if it is of help. That is if they did not change them for 1929. 

If you have the 1929 spares list you can compare against these from the 1928 list:

9674  Guard for clutch protection (wraps around front of clutch sprocket)
c/9549  Front chain guard
c/9673  Clip stud supporting guard to top of crankcase (typo, it supports the front lower edge, or else the part numbers are reversed with the following item)
c/9672 Bottom clip for front end of guard
c1/9547  Rear chain guard with support lugs

But since Darren has a 1929 and he say alloy, the prognosis is not good for a match.  :(

-Doug
« Last Edit: 13 May 2006 at 02:16 by Doug »

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2006 at 07:57 »
Hi My B29 has an alloy primary cover I was assuming that the 600 also has one of alloy as the pics look the same in the catalogue does anyone out there have an orig unmolested bike Regards Daren

Offline clee

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2006 at 07:05 »
thank's for the info so far people, this has to be the easiest way to gather info. all your help is greatly appreciated,  regards col.
colin lee

Offline clee

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2006 at 10:42 »
hello all,  surely someone must have some pics to help me out. i just need to put the primary chain & belt drive guards on to finish this resto. need some closeup pics to help me out. will post some pics when i can borrow a digital camera. regards col
colin lee

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2006 at 15:30 »
The initial request in this subject asked about the belt guard and primary chain guard fixings for 1924/25 TS 2.3/4hp. I cannot help with the belt guard front fixing as I have never seen an original and have made simple brackets to suit to screw into the threaded hole in the saddle down tube that is provided for this purpose. The primary chain guard fixings usually comprise a simple bracket at the front secured to the upper crank case through bolt and at the rear is a casting of quite complicated shape secured above the front gearbox mounting stud and sweeping back and down to the chain guard where it is held with a simple nut and bolt. The problem in manufacture of the guard itself is that they are virtually semi circular in section but then have a radius front and rear to suit the flywheel and gearbox sprockets respectively. A very simple way to make these is to use black plastic electrical conduit of 25mm diameter. A suitable bending spring and a soaking in hot water enables the conduit to be bent to exactly the correct radii. Careful cutting with a hacksaw through the centre line leaves a perfect non-rusting replica of the original guard. Forgive me if I have described this elsewhere in the forum. Chris.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2006 at 06:18 »
This is all I could fine for photos of the chain and belt guards for the 2-3/4hp, this being I believe an early twenties model. This one has valanced mudguards, that it looks like the beltguard is attached to. Not sure what they did when there was no valence. Otherwise it shows the items Chris described reasonably well. Note the chainguard is in two pieces, you can see the bolt at the splice, adjacent to the rear cylinder.

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

-Doug

Offline clee

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2006 at 11:47 »
g'day all,  i would like to thank all who have posted a reply to my question re guards on the ts. it has helped me heaps, especialy the photos. well done and thanks again. regards col.
colin lee